Answered By: CUHK Library Last Updated: May 31, 2017 Views: 151
CUHK Library has been with its current library system for over twenty years. It is no longer being developed and in May 2014 all eight UGC funded libraries engaged a consultant to provide guidance regarding the next generation automation environment for the consortium, JULAC, and its members. JULAC’s member libraries have a long history of working together to share collections. They seek new ways to use technology to fulfill even higher levels of collaboration and cooperation among their institutions in their next phase of advancement. Alma with Primo is the next-generation library management solution which enables JULAC libraries to manage both their print, electronic and digital collections through a single interface. It supports library collaboration and helps libraries to optimize their user experience and collections. Alma is deployed by many of the major university libraries globally.
- Its architecture is geared towards evolving information standards and information management needs. Its open standards ensure smooth integration with third party solutions. This allows JULAC libraries to extend services along with the growth of users' needs.
- With the rich analytics provided by Alma, JULAC libraries can harvest the big data generated by the platform to gain better insight of their resources usage so as to tailor their services and collection development to support users’ needs.
- Alma supports management of electronic, print and digital resources from a single integrated interface. This breaks down the silos in collections and delivers efficiency gains through automated workflow.
- Alma enables further collaborations among the JULAC libraries. The eight JULAC libraries will share their bibliographic records once the system goes live. JULAC is continuously exploring how the system can further support execution of the strategy of deep collaboration in the areas of consortium purchase and technical services.
- As the shared ILS is available on the cloud, high-level system resilience with reduced hardware costs and savings in long-term maintenance and IT support is expected.
Browse Our Answers
|Send an email to|
|Phone us at|
|WhatsApp us at|
|9am - 5pm (Mon-Fri)|
Make an appointment for the Research Consultation Service (for postgraduate students and CUHK faculty members)
For in-depth help, please contact the relevant faculty liaison librarian